Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bugs and Spiders!

Today we are going to focus on a Bugs and Spiders Laptime!

I almost got to do Laptime yesterday, but then our volunteer showed up. I know I should be happy about that, but I was so disappointed that I did not get to do it- I'm just nuts, I know.

Anyway, since I wasn't able to do it then, I've decided to focus on one rhyme or fingerplay or theme as often as I can. So today you get BUGS!
____________________________

BUGS! Creepy, Crawly, Wiggly, Tickly and ever so sometimes SCARY BUGS!

Oooo, let's start out with WIGGLES! 'Cause whenever I talk about bugs, spiders or creepy crawly things I can't sit still! I try so very hard, but it never fails, my arms start to shiver up in goosebumps and my stomach flips around and before I know it, I'm wiggling all over!



Wiggles

I Wiggle my Fingers

~wiggle fingers

I wiggle my Toes
~wiggle feet and toes

I wiggle my Shoulders
~rotate and shiver your shoulders

and I Wiggle my NOSE!
~I have to use my finger to wiggle this one!

Now no more wiggles are left in me
So I will be as still as still can be.
~shhh


Roly Poly Caterpillar

Roly Poly Caterpillar, into a corner crept
~arms make a circle for a big caterpillar

Spun himself a blanket, then for a long time slept
~spin arms around for cocoon

Roly Poly Caterpillar, wakening by and by
~wake-up stretch

Found himself with beautiful WINGS, changed to a butterfly
~stretch out 'wing' arms, admire


Did you know that Butterflies were once Caterpillars?


Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Use a flannel board, an eating sock puppet caterpillar or just have plastic fruit to show and count! Have fun!


Slowly Slowly

Slowly, Slowly, very slowly creeps the garden snail
~start s-l-o-w-l-y creeping fingers up from ankles of your child

Slowly, Slowly, very slowly up the wooden rail
~fingers slowly up to head, light and tickly at the neck
~take a deep slow anticipatory breath, arms up, fingers ready... let your body language tell the kids something is up! -

Quickly, quickly, very quickly runs the little mouse
~quickly tickle child all over 

Quickly, quickly, very quickly all around the house
~keep tickling like a mouse running around



Oh, where did that mouse come from!?!! Back to the bugs!
~hands on hips - hmph!


Can't Bug Me!
(a slightly altered version from Let's Play Music - they use this one in such a CUTE way to learn notes, not my goal here, but it's an awesome idea they have!)


I eat bugs. Every kind of bug I see!
~Hands on hips, nodding 'yes'

 I like the big ones
~arms out to show 'big'

and the bad ones
~make a big bad face

and the fuzzly purple flat ones!
~rub hands together for fuzzy
 
People think they're yucky.

~shrug shoulders

But I just don't agree!
~shake finger back and forth 'no-no'
 
No you can't bug me!

~hands back to hips



You know, a LOT of people don't like bugs. Can you believe it?


Poor Little Bug on the Wall
(really ham this one up!)

Poor little bug on the wall
~I have a little plastic bug I use for this

No one to love him at all
~shake head sadly

 No one to blow his nose
~pretend to blow nose, loud and juicy - make'm laugh! This one is AWESOME if you are on a microphone! 

No one to tickle his toes
~my voice goes up high in an almost ready to cry voice here

Poor little bug on the wall
~shake poor little sad head, shrug shoulders, take a deep breath, so SAD!



Ewwww, just thinking of bugs on the walls get me all shivery again!


Criss Cross Applesauce

Criss cross applesauce
~draw an X on baby's back 

Spiders crawling up your spine
~walk fingers up baby's back

Cool breeze
~blow on baby's neck

Tight squeeze
~hug baby

Gives my baby the sillies!
~Tickle baby



Spiders, itty bitty, teeny weeney spiders!


Itsy Bitsy Spider

Itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout
~fingers walk up arm

Down came the rain and washed the spider out
~fingers mimic rain falling down
 
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
~arms up over head for the sun

So the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again!
~fingers walk up arm again

alt. - fingers walk up baby's tummy to turn this into a tickle game!


I bet you didn't know that next door lived the itsy bitsy spider's cousin!


The GREAT BIG SPIDER!
(deep big voice)

The great big spider went up the water spout
~arms out for a BIG spider

Down came the rain and washed the spider out
~fingers mimic rain falling down

Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
~arms up over head for the sun

So the great big spider went up the spout again!
~arms out again


I've got the shivers BAD now! I need a break to make myself feel better!


Gonna Shake My Sillies Out by Raffi
(I recommend singing and acting this one out instead of reading the book. Particularly for the toddlers and babies this laptime is meant for)


Ant Hill
Amy's version

Once I saw an ant hill
~hand in a fist,like a hill, fingers curled under

With no ants about
~puzzled look on face

So I said, Dear little ants

Won't you come out?
~motion a come-come with opposite hand

Then, as if those ants

Had heard my call,

~put your free hand to your ear 

1 2 3 4 5 ants came out!
~open fist and count up

Uh-oh, ouch, OH! not fun at all!
~tickle child with little finger 'ants'


Oh the Ants, those teeny tiny little ants - they're all OVER!


The Ants Go Marching
(keep the beat with hands on legs)

the little one stops to climb a tree
and they all go marching,
down to the ground, to get, out of the rain.
Boom Boom Boom Boom,
Boom Boom Boom Boom

Oh, the ants go marching four by four hurrah, hurrah!
Oh, the ants go marching five by five hurrah, hurrah!
Oh, the ants go marching six by six,

the little one stops to pick up sticks
and they all go marching,
down to the ground, to get, out of the rain.

Here is the Hive

Here is the Hive
~hand in fist

 
But where are the bees?
~puzzled look, other hand up in a ? gesture

 
They're hidden inside
~point to fisted hand
Where nobody sees...
~use a fun, uh-oh, anticipating voice

Oh, oh, oh,
~dart your eyes over to your fist with an uh-oh look
1 2 3 4 5
~fist starts to shake, faster, faster - fist opens up counting...

They're alive! They're alive!
~AH! Those 'bees' tickle baby all over!


Oh, I caught one!!!


I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
~hands cupped together, swinging to the rythym

 Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee...
Ouch he stung me!

 
I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee
~hands squish together back and forth

 Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee...
Ewww, it's all over me!


I'm wiping off a baby bumblebee!
~wipe hands on legs to the rythym

 Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
I'm wiping off a baby bumblebee...
Ugh, it's all messy!


I'm licking off a baby bumblebee!
'~lick' hands - make it SOUND like it too!

 Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
I'm licking off a baby bumblebee...
ughewwwww

~shiver like you just tasted something horrid!

 
MY MOMMY WON'T BE PROUD OF ME!
~shake finger back and forth in a 'no-no'


We clap our Hands

This is possibly a Kindermusic song, I've not been able to verify it though. I did learn it from a teller that was also a Kindermusic teacher.

We clap our hands and wave bye-bye, bye bye
We clap our hands and wave bye-bye, bye bye


Bye kiddos!
Goodnight and watch that those bad bugs don't bite!
____________________

More...

Beetle Bop by Denise Fleming
OPL Link

Rain Song by Lezlie Evans
OPL Link

There was an Old Monster by The Emberley's
OPL Link


Over in the Garden by Jennifer Ward
OPL Link

Creepy Crawly Handout
Just click the above
 

Oh, the ants go marching one by one hurrah, hurrah!
Oh, the ants go marching two by two hurrah, hurrah!
Oh, the ants go marching three by three,

1 comment:

edith turk said...

Oh Amy, these are so fun!! I remember doing a few of these with the girls when they were younger...Great ideas!!