Friday, May 7, 2010

Did you ever wonder...

What Librarians do when they are not blogging, making booklists, doing storytime, laptime, tours or just out in the stacks putting books in kids hands?

Well, this librarian is not only planning a fun-filled Summer Reading Program, but also planning my first original puppet show.

Let me preface all this - for almost 15 years I have been watching Mark Pulham do his puppet shows. He is the best puppeteer I know. Funny, original, talented... I could go on and on. The point is, I've had a good teacher and a lot of opportunity to work with him over many many years.

After getting my first taste of being the puppeteer last week, luckily the sound was recorded and all I had to do was know when to move the puppets; anyway, back on topic, after getting back behind that stage I found that there is a whole new me coming to the surface. Strange things start to happen when I step behind that curtain and put a puppet or two on my hands. Suddenly voices, sound efffects and ideas start popping out of my mouth and head.

Now, as with all coincidental happenings, at the same time that I was asked to do that puppet show for the library, I was also asked if I knew how a school could get a storyteller for a celebratory Little House on the Prairie Day, and maybe I would be interested, as a librarian, in doing it for the school myself.

Would I???!!!

Suddenly a few days later the idea of Albert and the Time Machine downloaded into my brain. Unfortunately it was sometime around 2-3:00 a.m. Fortunately I didn't just fall back asleep.

Excuse me, pardon the interruption, but I find I am in need of some direction. Let me introduce myself, I am Miss Winder and I am pleased to make your acquaintance.

Now, to the matter at hand; I find I am at a loss presently and am in need of some assistance. Could you please tell me how I came to be in such a strange place? Somehow I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore...

That Albert, I knew something was up with that child the moment I saw him, I can spot those troublemakers quicker than you can pick up a hickory switch. This is not the year 1879 is it? Could this possibly be, as unreasonable as it sounds, the future?

So, if you ever wondered what else librarians do; simply put, we have fun. LOTS of fun.

The outcome of that? It's more ideas and projects than we can keep up with!

 It's writing, gathering supplies, practicing and then performing puppet shows all while still maintaining the momentum on Summer Reading preparations, Teddy Bear Picnic planning and still being out there in the stacks doing my favorite thing in the world - finding the perfect books at the perfect time to put in each child's hands.

...keep watching, I have to get permission first, but I have a videographer available to film the show. Hmmm, this might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing, it could go either way, it is my first attempt at doing an original puppet show after all.

Amy

Hey, keep watching the OPL  Summer Reading blog - Everything that I can't fit into the 45 min. to 60 min. long Summer Reading programs and more will be going in there.


Oh, dear, oh dear. I think we've had an accidental time travel. I will not lose my grant over this. No, this will not do at all. Hello, Ma'm? er Miss? Could you please follow me, we'll have this whole mess straightened out right away.

Now, this is all just a really strange dream you are having. You've dreamed of being in the future. As that is impossible, it can't be anything but a dream. Now just step right up here, press that button there, and

POOOF!


There we go, back to 1879. Potential distaster averted.

That leaves just one little loose end, who is the culprit that started this mess. I wonder, that Albert, dollars to donuts I would not put it past that child to have had a hand in this...



...okay now, back to watching cartoons - it's my day off and I have given myself the task of finalizing the voices I need for the show. Tomorrow I put the puppets and a microphone on and start doing full run-throughs.

No comments: