Friday, December 28, 2007

Tickle it up Time


A Tickle Me, Gitchy Gotchya Yes and No Laptime
(Play Tickle Time from Sandra Boynton's Rhinoceros Tap --OPL Link to CD here--as you open the program)



Gitchy gitchy Goo, Gitch-a gitchy gitchy Goo, Goo Goo gitchy...
________________


Hi everbody! Welcome to Laptime today! Oh, I hope you are ready.


Uh-oh. Before we start, I have to give you a warning, you see, today is a tickle storytime. Uh-huh, it's gonna be a true 'til you're blue tickle me time.

Hmmm, hold on, I'm missing something. 
Oh, dear. Oh no. Where did I put them . . . 
~tap you fingers thoughtfully against your chin, thinking...

Aha! Found them . . . my tickle-ingers, 
~look at your fingers, suddenly, almost as if a thought bubble appears over your head!...Your fingers!

My ickly tickly pigerifically tickling fingers. 
Also known as piggies . . .

Piggies?
Did you bring your piggies?
I found my piggies.
Oh, Yes Yes! I see them . . . Piggies!
hands out, madly wiggle your fingers. Exaggerate the YES nodding. Repeat, Yes. Yes.

I've got two fat piggies...
now launch into a telling,with both of your hands...

Piggies 

Piggies by Audrey and Don Wood
OPL Link

Use American Sign Language for 'hot', 'cold', 'dirty', 'clean', etc.
Have your fingers 'kiss' each other in smart, looooong and silly ways too.






Oooh, look at all those piggies, lovely sleeping little piggies. But wait . . . knock, knock wake up little piggies . . . 

Finger yawns so wide -- Yes, Yes -- Open them . . .


Open Them Shut Them

Open them, shut them,
Open them, shut them
~ open and shut fingers-in fists
Give a little clap
~ clap

Open them, shut them,
Open them, shut them
~open and shut fingers-in fists

Fold them in your lap

~ fold hands in lap

Creep them Creep them,
All the way to your chin...
~ fingers crawl up baby's tummy

Now open your mouth wide
~open mouth

But do not let them in!
~hands behind back!


No, no, don't let those piggies in!
Hmm, is everybody having fun yet?
No? Not yet?
~exaggerate the No head and finger shake, repeat No No.
I think we need to go looking for some missing funny bones, Yes?
~exaggerated Yes Yes, again.


Round the World

Round and round and round the world we go
~ spiral finger round
Round and back again
~ finger tightening the circles
Round and round and round the world we go
~ spiraling down to belly

To catch a grouchy bear
Where are we going to find him...
Oh, there and there and there!
~ tickle -gently poke and tickle


Or do you think you lost your funny bone here? Yes?


Funny Bones by Charles Reasoner



Well now that would be funny! To lose your head? Do you think that would really happen? No, No. Of course not! 


Ooo, can I tell you what gives me the sillies? No? Yes?
~emphasis on he No and the Yes.


Criss Cross Applesauce

Criss cross applesauce
~ draw an 'x' on child's back

Spiders crawling up your spine
~ fingers crawl up child's back to neck

Cool Breeze
~gently blow on child's neck

Tight squeeze
~ hug them

Gives my baby the sillies!
~ TICKLE!


I love to hear you laugh! Something else brings a smile to my face: It's thinking of my garden on a nice summer day . . . Yes?


Slowly Slowly Creeps the Garden Snail

Slowly, slowly creeps the garden snail
~start at child's feet and have fingers crawl up their sides

Slowly, slowly up the wooden rail
~end up with fingers on top of child's head

---Dramatic pause, deep breath. Shake your finger in a NO NO, but your head nods YES YES. Wait for it----

Quickly, quickly, quickly goes the little mouse
~fingers race around child's belly like a scampering mouse

Quickly, quickly, quickly all around the house!
~ tickle tickle tickle!


EEEEK!!!! No No No mice!
            CATCH THAT MOUSE!


Little Baby Mousey

Little tiny baby mousey,
~Walk fingers up baby's arm

From the barny to the housey,
In the pantry, under the shelf,

Found some cheese and helped himself!
~tickle under baby's arm or chin


Bzzzzzz, Bzzzt, Buzzz, Bzzz, BzzzZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz.
~Follow an imaginary bee with your eyes.

What is that? Buzzz, Bzzz, BzzzZZzzzzZZZZ Bzzzzzt
~Clap hands together (catch it)

Yes, yes! I got it! Oh, I'm...


I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumble Bee

I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
~swing clasped hands from side to side as you sing

I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee
Ouch! He stung me!
~ stunned look, open hands

I'm squishing up a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
~squish hands and mash that offending bee up

I'm squishing up a baby bumble bee...
Ewww, it's all yucky!
~ look at 'icky' hands


I'm wiping off a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
~ wipe hands on pants

I'm wiping off a baby bumble bee
Ugh, it's all over me!
~look really sick/ill over the mess

Oh, I'm licking off a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me!
~pretend to lick palms, you CAN make faces - 'this is so gross' faces ;) This has to SOUND like you are licking off the bee, just talk with your tongue out, it works GREAT!

I'm licking off a baby bumble bee
Uuhhh, that's really yucky!
~shudder, make more icky faces and say...

My mommy won't be proud of me!
~grin mischieviously, wag finger & shake head; 'no no'


Well, bees aren't really my type of food. No, no. Do you know what IS my type of food? Pizza! Yes, yes.


Pete's a Pizza by William Steig
OPL Link
This is a great fun book that you pat, roll and pretend your child is the pizza!

Ah, now that IS my favorite kind of food!
Yes, yes.



Shall we keep cooking? I know let's make Raisin Bread!


How to Make Raisin Bread

How do you make raisin bread?
You roll it,

~roll baby back and forth

You roll it,
You roll it,
You roll it,


An then you put the raisins in!
~give little tickle pokes all over
if you are at home, this is a great time to blow belly button raspberries for a dessert topping!

Oh No, no. I think my tummy is all done in. 
Time for big hugs --Yes, Yes--and goodbye kiddos!
 
_______________

MORE Tickly stuff if you need it


Eye Winker
~point to each part as you say it

Eye winker
Tom tinker
Nose smeller
Mouth eater
Chin chopper
Chin chopper
Chin chopper
Chin!

~and tickle baby under chin

Speaking of your little body parts, let me see those Tickly-ickly TOES!


Toe-sy Woe-sy
~tickle and tap each body part

Toe-sy Woe-sy
Wee footy
Shin chappy
Knee nappy
Bulgie wulgie
Neckie peckie
Chinny winny
Nosy posy
Eye winky
Brow brinky

Over the crown we go
~tickle over the head and down back
Down, down, down the back, start over again!


Dance Your Fingers
~ dance and tickle your way all around your baby

Dance your fingers up
Dance your fingers down
Dance your fingers to the side
Dance'em all around!

Dance'em on your tummy
Dance'em on your head
Dance'em on your shoulders
And dance'em off to bed.


We've All Got Bellybuttons!We've All Got Belly Buttons by David Martin










Tickle  Tum by Nancy Van Laan
OPL Link



Baby Butterfly
(from Let's Play Music)

I'm bringing home a baby butterfly now, 
that bumblebee didn't like me somehow,
(shake finger in a no-no)


So I'm bringing home a baby butterfly now, 
Won't my daddy be so very proud of me now!


An Extra Little Note

Simple concepts and lots of action are what you need to keep these littlest of the littles entertained, engaged, and happy. I have added the YES / NO emphasis to this Tickle Laptime to show how easy it is to incorporate a learning concept into a toddler storytime. All while still appealing to the adults--something we have to consider here in a library where we won't get patrons coming back if they are bored silly when they get here.

And so, seriously now, let's get down to the business of laughing and playing and having a whole bucketful of fun with your child at Laptime. Sit that cute little baby on your lap and get prepared to giggle your way to a happy happy day!

...and 

Yes, at Laptime in the library, you sit with both you and your child looking at the storyteller.

But, The BEST way is to be doing these at home--turn that child around, cuddle that toddler sitting sideways on your lap, or lay those infants on the floor (couch or bed) so they can be looking up at you. Now you can get started on some unforgettable moments of bonding.

After all, as the author Andrew Clements said in a speech I heard a few years ago:

"It’s not the material but the delivery system!"

No comments: